Before a person views your resume, it might be scanned by a computer to screen your qualifications.
Career experts suggest preparing your resume for three audiences: a computer screening program, a human resources specialist, and the hiring manager.
To pass the test of automatic resume scanners, consider these suggestions:
- Be sure to include your contact information, and avoid putting required information in the heading where it might be missed by the scanner.
- Avoid fancy formats and fonts. Use a professional presentation. Bullets are suggested for an organized, easy-to-read appearance.
- Emphasize keywords that reflect your competencies and experiences.
- Connect to the job description. Use the requirements and responsibilities of an employment position as a guide for presenting your background, skills, and accomplishments. Avoid a generic resume; tailor your resume to the specific position. Especially look for keywords that are repeated in the job description.
- Use clear job titles. Adapt and simplify previous job titles to fit generally-accepted labels in an industry.
- Seek guidance. Ask for assistance from career development centers, professional colleagues, friends, and others who can help you prepare a resume appropriate for scanning software.
Of special note, job applicants with military experience should match job description keywords to their military service. They should also emphasize and communicate their background so the resume scanning software will easily recognize their employment competencies.
For additional information on automatic resume scanners, click here.
- Have students create a resume for a specific job description to connect their background to the available position.
- Have students talk to a few people to obtain suggestions for improving their resumes.
- Based on selected job descriptions, name keywords that might be appropriate to use in a resume for those positions.
- List various sources that might be used to obtain resume preparation assistance.
While many savings, investment, and retirement plans are available to achieve financial goals, other actions are possible to achieve personal ambitions. Financial advisors and counselors also recommend these actions:
- Learn a new skill, which can result in time away from shopping or expanding your career and income potential.
- Invest in friendships that does not involve a major monetary requirement as many free and low-cost activities are available.
- Participate in a reading challenge at your local library or through a community organization.
- Create art by getting involved with writing, photography, drawing, or sculpture through a community-based group.
Many activities are available to invest your time and energy without spending much money.
For additional information on non-financial goals, click here.
- Have students list free and low-cost activities that can enhance personal and career development.
- Have students talk to others for additional suggestions for free and cost-cost personal and career development activities.
- What factors might a person consider when selecting an activity to enhance personal and career development?
- Describe personal development activities that could result in enhanced career and income potential.
Hacks – skills and shortcuts – are used in many life settings. For personal finance, here are some tips that can help stop money leakages:
- Only use credit cards with financial advantages, such as cashback; always pay off credit card balances on time.
- Making weekly payments, instead of monthly, helps to save interest and reduces the amount owed faster.
- Pay off loans/debts with the highest interest rates first.
- You might consider paying off a debt with another loan if the new loan has a much lower interest rate.
- When shopping online, leave the item in the cart for several days or weeks; the price may be lower or you may decide you don’t really need the item.
- Consider bulk purchases with friends to qualify for free shipping.
- Take advantage of seasonal sales.
- Unsubscribe from email offers.
- Avoid household clutter to save time and money.
- Cook your own meals; online videos and recipes offer fast, easy meals.
- Talk to others for investment advice.
For additional information on personal finance hacks, click here.
- Have students tell their personal experience with tech, travel, or personal finance hacks.
- Have students create a video to dramatize various personal finance hacks.
- How would you decide if a personal hack will be of value to you?
- Describe actions that might be used to communicate personal finance hacks to others.
Conducting an annual review of your career situation is vital for long-term success and satisfaction. To achieve career goals, avoid these mistakes:
- Ignoring relationships within your organization. Connections with co-workers and managers is often reported as one of the most important factors for career advancement.
- Not getting proper rest. Sacrificing sleep for achieving career goals can be very dangerous, such as creating stress in your relationships with co-workers and hindering job performance.
- Becoming too diversified. Select an area of expertise to focus your efforts and energy.
- Limiting your network activities. Expanding and connecting with contacts allows you to be aware of more opportunities while also developing awareness of industry trends.
- Not being care in your social life. With social media, many aspects of your private life become public. Be cautious of what you post online.
For additional information on career mistakes, click here.
- Have students talk with friends about their experiences with these career mistakes.
- Have students suggest actions for avoiding these career mistakes.
- What situations have you heard of that resulted in limited career advancement?
- Describe other possible career mistakes that might be avoided.
“The war for talent that obsesses tech companies is intensifying and is about to spread economywide.”
This Fortune article is a must read for job seekers in today’s world, Geoff Colvin explains that after nine years of sluggish economic growth, the economy has turned the corner and creating jobs at a record pace. The hiring boom is not only creating opportunities for unemployed workers, but also currently-employed workers who want to get a better or higher-paying jobs.
In the current job market, employers are seeking talented employees that have a great future. Traits that include creativity, the willingness to work hard, and love of learning often help employers evaluate potential. Digital skills are very important, but not restricted to just tech companies. For example, many retailers are hiring workers who can use digital skills to reach customers in new ways.
Human skills are also more important than in the past. Companies want workers to feel they’re part of the organization and a valued asset. These “same people” skills are very important for workers applying for management positions.
For more information, click here.
You may want to use the information in this blog post and the original article to
- Reinforce that employers want workers who have the knowledge and skills that they need, but also are willing to work hard, become part of the organization, and keep learning once they get the job.
- How do you develop the traits and skills so that employers are willing to pay you a salary?
- If you were an employer, how would you choose between job applicants applying for a customer service position at American Airlines? What traits and skills are most important?
Nearly everyone has minor stumbles in a job interview. However, these flaws can be overcome with actions to engage the interviewer. Some ways to make yourself memorable in an interview include:
- Start the interview with a question or comment that reflects your preparation about the company.
- As appropriate, answer the questions you are asked with a question. This approach is usually only valid when talking with operating staff, but not with a human resources person.
- Remember to emphasize your awareness and potential contributions to the needs of the company, including ideas for addressing current concerns and market opportunities. Rather than a specific solution, communicate your sensitivity and awareness of their problems.
- Show your humanness through humor, openness, and vulnerability.
- Prepare with strong research on the company that allows you to better answer expected questions and to interact as you discuss your experiences and potential organizational contributions.
- Think and talk like a consultant to communicate confidence and competency.
For additional information on strong interview impression, click here.
- Have students role play situations interview situations that they might encounter when applying for a job.
- Have students create responses to potential interview questions based on the suggestions in this article.
- How might the advice offered in this article be used when you are in an interview situation?
- Describe some common mistakes people might make in interviews. Explain actions to overcome these mistakes.
Natural disasters create a need for unique actions. After physical safety is assured, some of the activities related to finances include:
- contacting your insurance company – request a copy of your policy, take photos and videos to document your claim.
- registering for assistance at DisasterAssistance.gov or call 1-800-621-3362.
- talking with your mortgage lender and credit card companies since you may not be able to make upcoming payments on time.
- contacting utility companies to suspend service if you will not be living in your home due to damage.
Beware of various scams that surface after natural disasters. These frauds can include phony repairs, deceptive contractors, requiring up-front fees, fake charities, and misrepresenting oneself as an insurance company agent or government representative to obtain personal information.
Assistance for the personal and financial chaos created by a hurricane or other natural disaster may be obtained from these organizations:
For additional information on financial actions for disasters, click here.
- Have students role play situations that might require actions such as those described in this article.
- Have students create a video with suggestions to take when encountering a natural disaster.
- How might the advice offered in this article be communicated to people who are victims of a natural disaster?
- Describe common mistakes people might make when encountering a natural disaster.
Mobile start-up companies and other organizations are working with financial institutions to assist consumers with apps and websites that address various financial tasks and concerns. These include:
- Albert (www.meetalbert.com) is a mobile app to guide your financial decisions with the assistance of various financial institutions.
- EARN (www.earn.org) is a national nonprofit to help low-income families create a habit of saving and break the cycle of financial instability.
- eCreditHero (www.getcredithero.com) is designed to fix errors that appear on an estimated 80 percent of the credit reports of Americans.
- Scratch (www.scratch.fi) helps borrowers to better understand, manage, and repay loans.
- WiseBanyan (www.wisebanyan.com) is a free financial advisor that suggests and manages investment plans for various financial goals, such as savings for retirement, creating an emergency fund, and buying a home.
For additional information on innovative financial planning apps, click here.
- Have students search for a website or app that would be of value of improved personal financial planning.
- Have students talk to others about the financial concerns they face. Ask students to propose an app or website that would address a personal finance concern.
- What personal financial planning areas provide people with the most difficulty?
- Describe potential apps or websites that might be created to assist people with their personal financial planning activities?
“Letting Employees Work from Home Can Be a Win-Win for Employers and Staff Alike.”
For employees, the option to telecommute appeals to a vast majority of full-time workers. Research by Global Workplace Analytics found that there are benefits for employees and employers when employees telecommute and work at home. For employees, the chief advantages are
- Reduced time commuting to work
- Lower costs of commuting to the office
- Less stress of juggling the demands of work and family
There are also benefits for employers including
- Less office space is needed because not every employee works in the office every day
- Lower expenses for rent or costs associated with ownership of office space
- A new way to attract talent because employees like the option of working at home
- Increased employee motivation and engagement because telecommuting is considered a benefit
The top five companies and organizations that encourage telecommuting are:
- United-Health Group
- S. Department of Agriculture
For more information about this article and a complete list of the top 20 companies for telecommuting, click here.
- You may want to use the information in this blog post and the original article to point out the benefits of telecommuting.
- Not everyone is a candidate to work at home. What traits and time management skills are needed if you obtain a job where you can work at home?
- Are there disadvantages to telecommuting and working at home?
Career planning experts offer a wide variety of guidelines for moving forward in your employment situation. Use of the following questions can help you develop an action plan for greater career success and personal satisfaction.
- What do you like to learn?
- What do you do in your spare time for fun?
- Are you creating a career for your parents, for society, from your own excitement, or for money?
- What is your definition of work?
- What challenge excites you the most in your life right now?
- What impact do you want to have on other people’s lives or in the world?
- Do you feel confident that you are exceptional at something?
- What do you want: more joy or more power?
- Do you want to be like your parents? Why or why not?
- What do you do that builds your confidence?
- How often are you bored
- Are you proactive about sharing your ideas with your team and managers?
- Whom do you admire most? Are they passionate and purpose driven by their work?
- When you make decisions about your career, do you often consider what other people will think of your decision?
- What advice would you give yourself today about where you are in your career based on where you want to go?
- What does success mean to you?
For additional information on essential career questions, click here.
- Have students use one or more of these questions to talk to others about their career planning activities.
- Have students prepare answers to several of these questions to help guide their career planning activities.
- Which of these questions are most valuable to you to guide your career planning activities?
- What are some additional questions that you might ask yourself or others to help guide their career planning?