Conducting an annual review of your career situation is vital for long-term success and satisfaction. To achieve career goals, avoid these mistakes:
- Ignoring relationships within your organization. Connections with co-workers and managers is often reported as one of the most important factors for career advancement.
- Not getting proper rest. Sacrificing sleep for achieving career goals can be very dangerous, such as creating stress in your relationships with co-workers and hindering job performance.
- Becoming too diversified. Select an area of expertise to focus your efforts and energy.
- Limiting your network activities. Expanding and connecting with contacts allows you to be aware of more opportunities while also developing awareness of industry trends.
- Not being care in your social life. With social media, many aspects of your private life become public. Be cautious of what you post online.
For additional information on career mistakes, click here.
- Have students talk with friends about their experiences with these career mistakes.
- Have students suggest actions for avoiding these career mistakes.
- What situations have you heard of that resulted in limited career advancement?
- Describe other possible career mistakes that might be avoided.