Since the career objective presented on most resumes is too general and unfocused, hiring managers recommend a career summary. When developing a resume summary, consider the following actions:
- Plan a clear direction that emphasizes the skills and experience directly related to your career area. Communicate results and accomplishments that highlight your strengths.
- Research the industry to obtain an understanding of the trends and career competencies you will encounter.
- Develop phrasing that communicates the value you can add to an organization.
A resume summary can be appropriate for highlighting your work history and when transitioning careers. This resume feature also allows you to clearly communicate your personal brand.
For additional information on career summaries, click here.
- Have students search online for sample career summaries for industries of interest to them.
- Have students create a career summary that reflects their current competencies and experiences.
- Why are career objectives discouraged on resumes?
- What actions might be taken to develop an effective career summary?